BORN: July 26, 1941, Ottawa, Illinois
Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa (1959-1963)
North American College, Rome (1963-1967).
Licentiate in Sacred Theology, Gregorian University, Rome (June, 1967)
Ordained a priest on December 17, 1966, in St. Peter's Basilica, Rome.
Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
J.C.D. (May, 1977)
Seton Hall University Law School, South Orange, NJ
Juris Doctor, honoris causa
Mount St. Mary’s University, Emmetsburg, MD
Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa
Loras College, Dubuque, IA
Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa
St. Peter’s University, Jersey City, NJ
Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa
Assistant Pastor, Holy Family Parish, Peoria, Illinois (1967-1970)
United States Catholic Conference, Department of International Affairs (1970-1971)
Associate Pastor, St. Matthew Parish, Champaign, Illinois (1971-1974)
Administrator, St. Mary Cathedral, Peoria, IL (1977-78 and 1984)
Vice-Chancellor, Diocese of Peoria (1977-1978)
Director of Vocations, Diocese of Peoria (1977-1987)
Chancellor, Diocese of Peoria (1978-1987)
Presbyteral Council, Diocese of Peoria (1968-70 & 1984-90)
Board of Consultors, Diocese of Peoria (1978-1990)
Vicar General, of the Diocese of Peoria (1982-1990)
Appointed Coadjutor Bishop of Peoria on July 14, 1987.
Ordained as Coadjutor Bishop of Peoria On September 3, 1987
Acceded to the See of Peoria on January 23, 1990.
Announced Archbishop Designate of Newark, New Jersey on July 24, 2001.
Installed as Archbishop of Newark on October 9, 2001
Ecclelsiastical Superior, Missio Sui Iuris of the Turks and Caicos Islands (2001 - )
Ecclesiastical Delegate of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for the Pastoral Provision for admitting married former Anglican clergy to the Catholic priesthood in the United States ( 2005 -- 2011)
Knight Commander with Star, Knights of the Holy Sepulchre
Knight Commander, Grand Cross, of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of the Martyr St. George
Knight of Malta
President, Board of Regents, Seton Hall University, (2001 - )
President, Board of Trustees, Seton Hall University (2001 - )
Chair, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Ad-Hoc Committee on the Revision of the Conference By- Laws (2007 – 2011)
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Restructuring (2006 - 2011)
Consultor, Pontifical Council for the Interpretation of Legal Texts (1996 - 2008)
Member, Pontifical Council for the Interpretation of Legal Texts (2008 - )
Chair, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Canonical Affairs, (2005 - 2008)
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Budget and Finance (2006 - 2009)
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops - Canonical Affairs Committee (1988-99/2002-2005/2008 - )
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Task Force on Catholic Colleges and Universities (2010 - )
Board of Governors - National Catholic Bioethics Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1988- 2004)
Seminary Board Member, Mount St. Mary Seminary, Emmitsburg, Maryland (1989-1994)
Seminary Board Member, Kenrick-Glennon, Archdiocese of St. Louis (1994-2001)
National Conference of Catholic Bishops - Committee on Shrines and Pilgrimages (1990 - )
National Conference of Catholic Bishops - Committee on Vocations (1995-1998)
Vice President, Illinois Catholic Health Association (1997-2001)
Executive Committee, Board of Trustees - Catholic University of America (2004 - 2012)
Seminary Committee - Catholic University of America (1999 - 2003)
Chair, Finance Committee – Catholic University of America (2003 – 2009)
Chair, Academic Affairs Committee – Catholic University of America (2009 - 2011)
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Aid to Eastern Europe (1999- )
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Ad Hoc Committee on Sexual Abuse (2002)
Board of Governors of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC. (2002- )
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Hispanic Affairs (2002 - 2005)
Consultor, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Domestic Policy (2001-2004)
Chair, Board of Governors, North American College, Rome (2008 - 2012)
Member, Executive Committee, Board of Governors, North American College, Rome (2003 - 2008)
Chair, Finance Committee of the North American College, Rome (2003- 2008)
Trustee, The Papal Foundation (2002- )
Chair, Investment Committee of the Papal Foundation (2010 - )
Founding Member, Association for Catechumenal Ministry (1998 – 2000)
Member, Board of Directors, Association for Catechumenal Ministry (2000 - 2011 )
Member, Board of Directors, John Paul II Cultural Center (2001 – 2011)
Member, Board of Directors, Pope John Paul II Cultural Foundation, Inc. (2012 - )
Member, Episcopal Advisory Board, Theology of the Body Institute (2009 - )
Member, Bishops Advisory Board, Pope Paul VI Institute (2012 - )
CANON LAW PROJECTS
National Council of Catholic Bishops: Faculty, Canon Law Workshops for Bishops of Regions I, IV, V.
Workshops on the Revised Code, Teaching Team (1982)
Seminar on Diocesan Fiscal Officer, National Convention (1982)
Member Research and discussion Committees (1980-1983)
Press Officer, National Convention (1981, 1982)
Seminar on Lay Ministry, National Convention (1985)
Symposium on Diocesan Governance (1982-1985)
Canon Law Society Board of Consultors (1985-1987)
International Canon Law Symposium, Vatican City (April 19-24, 1993)
"The Law in the Life and Mission of the Church.”
1. "Sanity from the Sea?" America, Volume 23, No. 12 (October 24,1970, 318-319)
2. "Ocean Space and World Justice," Chicago Studies, Volume 11, No. 2 (Summer, 1972) 159-172
3. “The Trullan Controversy: Implications for the Status of Orthodox Christians in Roman Catholic Law,” Canon Law Studies No. 491. Washington, D.C. Catholic University of America, 223 Pages (Doctoral Dissertation.
4. "The Diocesan Fiscal Officer and the Diocesan Finance Council,” Proceedings of the Forty-fourth Annual Convention of the Canon Law Society of America, Washington, D.C.: CLSA, 1983, 181-188.
5. "Church Finances: Responsibility and Consultative Structures in the Revised Code," New Catholic World Volume 226, No. 1353 (May/June, 1983), pp. 132-135.
6. "The Temporal Goods of the Church," in the Code of Canon Law: A Text and Commentary. J. Coriden et al, ed. New York: Paulist Press, 1985, 857-890.
7. "Ecclesial Ministries Within the Diocese: Development and Integration," Proceedings of the Forty-seventh Annual Convention of the Canon Law Society of America. Washington, D.C.: CLSA, 1986, 66-83.
8. A series of articles on the 1983 Code of Canon Law for diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Post, which were also printed elsewhere.
9. Pastoral letter: “The Obligations of Catholics and the Rights of Unborn Children,” issued June 3, 1990.
10. Pastoral letter: “The Eucharist: Sacrifice of Love,” issued on December 2, 1990.
11. A Letter to Health Care Administrators, issued on September 23, 1991.
12. Pastoral letter on Religious Education: “To Reach Full Knowledge of the Truth (I Timothy 2:24),” issued on January 31, 1993.
13. International Canon Law Symposium, The Law In The Life And Mission Of The Church, Vatican City, April, 19-24, 1993.
14. “Vocations to the Sacred Priesthood,” National Catholic Register, September, 1993.
15. Pastoral Letter: “Make Yours A Holy Family,” issued December, 1993.
16. Symposium on the "Participation of the Laity in the Pastoral
Ministry of Priests," Vatican City, February, 1994.
17. Pastoral Letter to the Young of Our Church and Community and a separate letter to Parents, Pastors, and Adults in the Church and Community on chastity formation: “A Fresh, Spiritual Way of Thinking,” issued on January 20, 1995.
18. “After My Own Heart,” Sacrum Ministerium, Congregation for the Clergy, November, 1995.
19. Pastoral Letter on Fatherhood: “Fathers Make Known to Children Your Faithfulness,” issued on March 19, 1997.
20. “Vocations,” Our Sunday Visitor Press, (1997) pp 694-699.
21. "Divorce, Remarriage and the Reception of the Holy Eucharist," The Jurist, 1997: 2, pp. 489-516.
22. "Letter to Senior Priests,” issued June 17, 2001.
23. Pastoral Letter on Faith and Terrorism: “If God is With Us, Who Can Be Against Us,” issued October 11, 2001.
24. Pastoral Letter on the Church: “A Reason for the Hope That Lies Within Us,” issued December 2, 2001.
25. Mass of Chrism: Text of Homily, issued March 25, 2002.
26. Letter to Parishioners on the subject of Sexual Abuse, appearing in the April 24, 2002 edition of The Catholic Advocate.
27. “An Examination of Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body,” keynote speech, Conference on Christian Sexuality, Family Honor, July 19, 2002.
28. Pastoral Letter reflecting on the Theology of the Body, “And the Word Became Flesh,” issued December 8, 2002.
29. “A Meditation on Pope Paul VI’s ‘Humanae Vitae’,” issued August 13, 2003.
30. “The Archdiocese of Newark’s historical accounting of Clergy sexual abuse of minors,” appearing in the February 25, 2004 edition of The Catholic Advocate.
31. Pastoral Statement reflecting on a Catholic’s responsibilities for receiving The Eucharist, “A Time for Honesty,” issued May 5, 2004.
32. “Our obligation to rescue and restore,” dealing with the issue of human trafficking, appearing in the May 19, 2004 edition of The Catholic Advocate.
33. Keynote address at the National Conference on Human Trafficking Sponsored by the US Department of Justice, Tampa, Florida, July 16, 2004.
34. Op-ed piece on Catholics’ responsibilities as voters, “A Voter’s Guide,” appearing in the September 17, 2004 edition of The Wall Street Journal and the October 6, 2004 edition of The Catholic Advocate.
35. Op-Ed piece on the role of a bishop in educating his flock on issues of public policy, “A Right and a Duty to Speak Out on Moral Issues,” appearing in the November 5, 2004 edition of The Newark Star-Ledger.
36. Pastoral statement on Evangelization, “The Way, the Truth, and the Life,” issued March 10, 2005.
37. Pastoral letter on death and dying, “Whether in Life or in Death, We are the Lord’s,” issued September 8, 2005.
38. Op-ed piece on the need to reform charity care formula in New Jersey, “Urban Hospitals Need a Transfusion,” appearing in the August 3, 2006 edition of The Newark Star-Ledger.
39. Question and Answer column, “Catholics Quiz Myers,” on Catholic teaching and issues facing the Church today, responding to inquiries from
readers, appearing in the Perspectives section of the April 24, 2007 edition of The Newark Star-Ledger.
40. “The Bishops’ Far-Reaching Call,” op-ed on US Bishops’ Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship document, in the March 5, 2008 edition of The Newark Star-Ledger.
41. Pastoral Statement, “When Two Become One: A Pastoral Teaching on the definition, Purpose and Sanctity of Marriage,” issued September 14, 2012
Revised April 17, 2013