World Mission Sunday, organized by the Propagation of the Faith, is a day set aside for Catholics worldwide to recommit themselves to the Church's missionary activity through prayer and sacrifice. In 2011, World Mission Sunday is celebrated on October 23.
Every year the needs of the Catholic Church in the Missions grow - as new dioceses are formed, as new seminaries are opened because of the growing number of young men hearing Christ's call to follow Him as priests, as areas devastated by war or natural disaster are rebuilt, and as other areas, long suppressed, are opening up to hear the message of Christ and His Church. That is why the involvement and commitment of Catholics from around the world is so urgently needed.
Offerings from Catholics in the United States, on World Mission Sunday and throughout the year, are combined with offerings to the Propagation of the Faith worldwide.
Rev. Michael Fugee, Director
- Catholic Volunteer Network 800-543-5046 http://www.catholicvolunteernetwork.org
- Claretian Volunteers and Lay Missionaries 800-328-6515 http://www.claretians.org
- Columban Fathers Lay Missionary Program 402-291-1920 http://vocation.columban.org
- Family Missions Company 337-893-6111 http://www.familymissionscompany.org
- Franciscan Mission Service 202-832-1762 http://www.franciscanmissionservice.org
- Heart's Home USA 718-522-2922 http://usa.heartshome.org/
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps 313-345-3480 http://www.jesuitvolunteers.org/
- Maryknoll 1-800-818-5276 http://www.maryknoll.com
- Society of African Missions 301-891-2037 http://www.smafathers.org
- The Vincent Pallotti Center 1-877-VOL-LINK http://www.pallotticenter.org
(a directory of 120 full-time faith based volunteer programs based in the United States